Saturday, December 30, 2006

"Driving" around Monroe

Love the old photo fun!

Came across this photo from Drivers Ed class.....(Sorry, John Gulledge. Wish our old snapshots were the quality of your great photos from those early years!)


Decided to go ahead and post this one, hoping it will trigger memories of other classmates about those Driver Ed days with Paul Taylor.

I just remember the excitement of my own summertime "driving days", and sometimes getting to drive out on "the Boulevard". (My parents only let me back our car out of the garage and pull around to front of house, in those pre-license days.)

At least for all the girls, "straight-drive" was a complicated undertaking. With the extra set of pedals on the front-seat passenger side, I guess Mr. Taylor had a little control on things!

Who's who? L to R: Bertha Horton, Sara Catherine Flow, Mary Eda McCollum. Class of '63

1 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, December 30, 2006, Blogger Jim Helms said...

I remember those driver education classes at Benton Heights School. I had right much experience on a farm tractor and in an old Studebaker truck hauling cotton so Mr Taylor was always bragging on my driving skills. I distinctly remember the day he said, “Okay, stop here. Now, I want you to start up from a complete stop.”

I don’t remember exactly where we were but I can tell you this – it was the steepest hill in Union County. The first time, the car choked down and had to be restarted. The second time, it choked and had to be restarted. The third time was a charm. I revved the engine, popped the clutch and left about sixty feet of good solid black marks on the pavement.

If that car’s still around, Mr Taylor’s handprints are still embedded in dash. I don’t remember which two kids were in the back seat at the time – but, I do remember two heads thumping against the back glass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home