Monday, November 20, 2006

I Inspired Andy Warhol!

Mary Faith,

I practice structured procrastination. In other words, I make a detailed list of all the stuff I need to do and then carefully prioritize the list with: tomorrow, day after tomorrow, next week, next month, and so forth. I never do anything today until somebody calls my hand. I’ve been meaning to write something on this blog now for weeks. Honest Engine I have, but now that you’ve given me a head’s up – called my hand – here’s my thing…

I remember that flag coloring contest in the second grade. How could I ever forget that? The dog ate most of my crayons so I had to use hot pink for the stripes and purple up there in the corner behind the stars. I also remember running out of room down near the bottom and switching over to three-point stars. Thank goodness we didn’t have Hawaii and Alaska to deal with back in those days or I would’ve been in serious trouble. Mrs Richardson didn’t give me a passing grade on that endeavor but I’m convinced, “without me, Andy Warhol would’ve been just another name in the phone book.”

A while back, here in Clemmons, I was stuck in a grocery-store line and noticed the lady in front of me wearing a Beaufort shirt and I said, “looks like you visited the boat show?” One thing led to another and somehow I mentioned your name and she said, “The porch lady!” When I told her we graduated high school together, she got so excited I thought she was going to ask me to autograph a pack of Frosted Flakes.

I still say they should’ve used bigger print in that first “Our State Magazine” article. Remember that? I called and asked you to paint a portrait of Petie and you said, “That’s porch. – NOT POOCH!” Geez!

Color me red and keep up the good work, girl.

Jim

PS: Here’s a digital picture of my turn-of-the-century (pre-porch-lady) Mary Warshaw original for all to see. Everything I’ve written above (pooch typo, supermarket stranger, my 2nd grade flag entry) is all true but with a spin. There’s one thing I’d never attempt to spin though - your talent. It is what it is – Awesome!

5 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Jim Helms said...

Oops! I didn't mean to get the type so big. Sorry about that. I guess it's those neurons Mary Faith wrote about? Or, maybe it was the Coronas?

 
At 1:53 AM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Mary Eda said...

You certainly have a way with your words, Jim! The spin is the greatest.....hope you'll write more?
Maybe a whole book?
(and, I'd LOVE to be stuck in a grocery line with someone like you behind me. What fun!)

 
At 9:05 AM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Mary Warshaw said...

Jim,
YOU are the one that is awesome! The short of it is that Jim reached out via computer and telephone to help me when I first moved to Beaufort, didn't know how to use my computer and was struggling with a lack of self confidence as I started to paint again. I think you may be able to imagine those marine drills :-)We soon discovered we were long lost cousins. I did the painting for him as a thank you for his encouragement. It's a terrific story and one that I promise to post one day soon.

 
At 11:43 AM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Mary Eda said...

Well, Jim, you seem to have all the ladies posting quick responses!
Count me in, too, as loving your posting.....especially the flag-coloring part, "spin" included. Those contests were some of our most exciting school events those days.

Hope you'll post some more...always brings a smile.

 
At 3:42 PM, November 21, 2006, Blogger Jim Helms said...

Thanks Mary Eda. Way back in the mid-sixties, it was necessary for me to fill out volumes of military reports for those "higher authorities". One day, I was sitting there, meticulously filling out a "battlefield body count" report when it suddenly dawned on me - THIS IS TOTAL CRAZINESS! WHO IN THE WORLD EVER READS THIS STUFF? That was the day my buddies and I sat down and invented the jim-spin. Remind me at the next retreat and I'll tell you all about it - and - Happy Thanksgiving, girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home